Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Moms need to "shut up".

Disclaimer: This is a rant. This is me going on about how people get under my skin and I AM going to be talking about the fact that I stay home with Camden. If that annoys you, just press that X in the top right hand corner because I don't feel like going through the struggle of wanting to wring your neck after seeing your retaliation status on Facebook. This is my blog and if what I write about annoys you, the joy is....YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ IT.
 
- - - -
 
Okay, so hopefully now I'm writing to an audience that truly has an open mind.
It's come to my attention recently that what I post gets under peoples skin, shocker.
You can disagree with me..you can give me your piece of mind back...just please, MAKE SENSE!
There's been an article going around with the title, "Dear Stay-At-Home Moms, Please Shut Up."
At first when I saw it I rolled my eyes and didn't even bother to read it. Probably like
most of you do with my posts going on about how SAHM's actually do work hard.
It stuck with me though, and I kept wondering if I maybe really did need to simply, shut up.
I then finally read it as it went more viral and I immediately knew I had to give my point
of view right back...because well, that's what I do :)
 
To start off, if you want to get your point across about something and have good reviews by it I think by insulting someone in your title you're only going to piss people off more.
The article goes on by saying SAHM's basically need to pipe down because well, we should be grateful that we have the option to stay in our PJ's till noon.
Basically, we should be grateful about every spit up, mess, and stressful moment we deal with.
 
Here's where I'm confused.
 
Who said we aren't?
 
I am SO beyond grateful and so full of love because every morning I get to wake up and see Camden's face and know that I get to see it all day. I am grateful for every temper tantrum because I know I get to correct him MY way and not by a stranger or babysitter. I know he's safe with me at all times. I've never missed a milestone. I've never known what it's like to sit at work around jerks and annoying people missing my child and I am and will be FOREVER grateful for that.
 
I'm an advocate for stay at home moms because I don't believe we get the back up we deserve. I have personal experiences that have made me feel like crap as a mother, and ones that have lost friends.
Not because I think we work harder. Not because I think working moms don't deal with stress and don't work as hard as the ones who get to work from home. & DEFINTELY not because I'm not grateful. That's a line that makes me want to spit out my coffee and laugh.
I feel like every time I post about moms staying at home the ones who don't get offended by me and feel the need to explain to me that they need to work because they have to. But my only point that I ever want to get across is why is it okay that working moms get a pat on the back for supplying for their children by working outside of home, but the ones who have the option to supply for their children inside their home get a slap on the wrist because they should be doing better for their family?
 
"If you despise constantly being in the company of humans who drool, if you are completely unsatisfied and miserable and longing for a way out, then, pretty please with a cherry on top, get a job, volunteer, find a hobby, go out with the girls. Do SOMETHING"
 
 
This was an actual quote from the article^
Let me tell you something, and this is just facts about my daily life.
In a weeks span I get out of the house MAYBE 2 times.
This isn't shopping trips with my friends or a Starbucks date with Billy.
This is running to Walmart to get diapers, groceries, or maybe even just checking the mail.
Just like working moms wish they could be with their children I wish I had some sort of interaction with people besides a toddler...every...single...day.
That doesn't mean I don't love Camden. It means some days I need a break.
I don't have the time to volunteer, my hobby is crafting with my child, and I'm surprised I'm not laughing until tears come out to "go out with the girls" -_-
College? Daycare? Babysitters? Nights out?
I'm not sure if this chick is aware but that stuff takes money...and a decent amount.
I literally want to pull my hair out some days because I have heard nothing but Daniel Tiger on the tv, a screaming toddler, have done nothing but made breakfast lunch and dinner that ALL got thrown on the floor and hardly eaten along with pointlessly cleaning a house that looks like I haven't done a thing to it 20 minutes later.
 
I have bad days too!
I'm allowed to complain!
I'm allowed to want to scream some days!
Just like people have a bad day at work and bash their co-workers and boss via FB, I'm allowed to sigh because some days I just want to change my name to anything but "Mom".
 
The fact that this article says I should put on my Suzy Home Maker face everyday and say, "I am so blessed. I have a faithful husband, gorgeous and healthy children, a beautiful home, and I am fortunate enough to stay home and enjoy my blessings." is beyond hysterical. Especially coming from a woman who also stays at home with her kids. Applause to her for being the perfect woman of the year. -insert sarcasm-
 
In the end, we're all Mothers. We're all exhausted by the end of the day. Nobody has it worse than the other because we don't live other peoples lives but our own. None of us need to "pipe down" or "shut up" simply because of what we do for a living. We're all allowed to have bad days, and we're all allowed to have good days. We can sigh some days and smile the next. But FOR ONCE I'd like to see mothers come together and support each other as a whole...as MOTHERS. Not "stay at home moms" or "working moms" but simply as Mothers. I think we all deserve that.
 
-drops mic-
 
xo, Jessica.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment