Saturday, November 30, 2013

Our Labor Story

Let me start out by saying that EVERY LABOR IS DIFFERENT. Don't be scared of giving birth just because my story is a bit on the scarier side. 


My story starts with being induced on July 10, my due date was the 13th but my doctor insisted I do not go past my due date. I assume because be wanted me to be able to give birth to Camden vaginally since my body is very slim. I went in and at 10 pm had Cervidil inserted which was required to stay in for 24 hours to help me dilate since I was not dilated even a finger tip! 

My experience with that was it kinda hurt going in because for some reason there was a plastic piece involved? Not really sure but once it was inserted I didn't even notice it. I contracted through the night but they weren't bad at all. 

 
Once 10 am came around they took the Cervidil out and checked me, I was still BARELY a fingertip. So then they let me shower and hooked me up to pitocin. For awhile I was still contracting but it like before they weren't strong enough to send me in seconds of sheer pain. I could still talk and was pretty comfortable. They then checked me again and I wasn't getting anywhere so the doctor suggested I get a balloon catheter put in my cervix to help it dilate. Keep in mind, this doctor wanted to put a CATHETER in a opening barely the size of a finger tip. They tried and tried and I basically went through this worst pain ever and it didn't even work! He asked to break my water afterwards but I was just so tired of pain at that point and I needed a break! 


 The doctor then came back in and broke my water which hurt as bad as him trying to put a catheter in me but I was also still not really dilated. My water breaking was the weirdest feeling ever! It felt like I was peeing myself and couldn't control or stop it! After that they kicked in my pitocin even harder and the REAL labor began! 

Warning, from this point on things went blurry and it's hard for me to remember much but I'll do the best I can to remember! 

The doctor ordered for me to get an epidural so I would be numb and they could further try to dilate me without me being in severe pain. The epidural wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm deathly afraid of needles. I thought I was going to die getting an IV! The scary part is nobody was allowed in the room, just me the nurse and the anesthesiologist. Lucky, I had an amazing nurse at the time and she talked me right through it all without a problem! People describe it as a bee sting which I can agree with but at the very end I felt this burning in my hips. 

At first, my epidural was great! I couldn't feel a thing, but slowly but surely I felt it wearing off. I felt every single contraction all through my right side. I asked if they could up my dose but they denied it and said I would have to get another one. I didn't feel like going through it again so I said no and tried to handle the pain. 

Well.... I thought I could handle it but as I started to dilate the contractions came
On bigger and stronger. Something I just found out the other day is they gave me a pain killer through my IV which apparently made me sick right before my second epidural. I guess because this time they felt bad for me they allowed billy sit in the room with me and I went through yet again the bee sting and the burning felt worse a second time around. That time I thought FOR SURE I would have relief. I then took a two hour nap since I was able to relax only to be woken up to extreme contractions. My second epidural was also another fail. 

From that point on I had to breath through every contraction which helped me a lot. You don't need to take a breathing class to know how to do it! Trust me when I said instinct will kick in because you have no choice but to zone in on the pain. Just when I thought the pain couldn't get any worse I started to get these horrible pains right between my shoulder blades to the point where I couldn't even move my head or get comfortable ON TOP OF CONTRACTIONS. My mom told the nurse and they basically shrugged it off as epidural pains, I don't even think they told the doctor! 

All I wanted to do was push this baby out. I was so sick of the pain and waiting and people telling me when a contraction was starting then going on about how big it was! I just wanted to scream YA THINK?!? 😂 I needed oxygen because I could hardly breath right and unless someone's hand was on my back those blade pains were unbearable. 

Finally, my doctor came in again to check me and told me it was time to push. Instantly all the time that felt like forever didn't feel long at all and I couldn't believe I was about to have my baby. I pushed through 5 contractions before the doctor noticed Camden's heart rate dropping. Before I could even understand what was happening 10 people were in and out of the room, I was being flipped on a different bed, and things were just going so fast. I was then wheeled into the operating room. 

People ask me all the time if I was scared of getting a cesarean. Ha! After all that time you could have cut me open not numb and I wouldn't have cared I just wanted him out of me! And can I just say spinals are the BEST thing. It was just another pinch and then all of a sudden my legs went warm and I felt nothing! I was so happy and it was such a relief. 
I kept telling the people "I feel that!" Or "I felt that" thinking they were going to curt me open and the spinal wouldn't work but they said back "uhh you're already cut open!" Haha. 

1:05 came and Camden Mason was born! Again, I wish I had a better story for you but unfortunately nothing about my labor was beautiful. I heard nothing when he was born and immediately panicked. I really though he passed away in labor. I even asked the nurse if he was dead. I looked at Billy and he tried to make me feel better and encourage me that everything was fine but after a couple of minutes I could just tell in his eyes something was wrong. 

Finally after 19 hours I got to see my baby boy. All I saw was his cheeks, they let me kiss him and then he was rushed into the NICU. What I remember beyond this point is being wheeled into my room and seeing my parents. I passed out for 9 hours afterwards. 

Camden Mason 6 lbs 1 oz 21 inches  



I didn't get to see Camden until the following morning. But I can remember that feeling like it was yesterday. I remember seeing how small he was and how relived I was just that he was here with us. He was born "limp" and they thought he was born with an infection in his lungs. I personally blame the hospital for them letting me sit with my water broken for 19 hours but it is what it is. It was a long week in the NICU but our boy was a little fighter. It was the HARDEST thing I've gone through emotionally and physically but I'm so glad to have him here with us. I am blessed. 





No comments :

Post a Comment