As a parent, battling fevers is inevitable.
You never understand how much it scares you until it actually happens.
Camden has ran fevers before...the typical teething fever.
They usually hit about 99 degrees and then go back down.
It wasn't until a couple weeks ago I dealt with my first real fever/virus.
It was a scary and sad moment, especially when there's only so much you can do.
This was my experience and I hope it helps other moms who
at one point or another go through their little one's first fever...
Such a heartbreaking face...
It all started with a fever of 101.
I knew this was serious because I felt how warm his
body was as soon as I picked him up.
I immediately checked his temp & I was right!
We started with Tylenol, giving it to him every 6 hours.
At the time we were on a mini vacation and packing up to leave.
I checked his temp before we left and it was back down to 99..I thought
all was well and we headed back to home.
3 hours later..
Billy picked Camden up as soon as we got out of the car and
had the same reaction I did hours before.
There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Camden was running a fever
just as hot as before, if not hotter!
Checked his temp...102!
This was no typical teething fever and I knew I had to cool him down.
It wasn't time for another dose of Tylenol so I grabbed a rag,
ran it under cool water, and placed it on his head after stripping him down
to just a diaper. After about 30 minutes of laying around and watching
Barney I checked his temp and it was back down to 100.
I was making progress...
We called his doctor up thinking he would send us straight to
the ER with urgency but I was shocked to find all he wanted us to do
was to rotate using Tylenol and Motrin.
That's it?
That's all I had to do?
No deadly virus?
No late night ER trips to find out the worst?
I googled fevers in toddlers for the millionth time and found out that fevers
are actually very common and aren't a cause for concern unless
its unbreakable. So we started our medication rotation
and scheduled a visit to the doctor the following day.
24 hours go by and Camden is still miserable..
The doctor says all is well, just a 24 hour virus
& we went back home to snuggle and be sick.
Camden's fever did break. It never went up again past that point
but something about him was "off"
He was EXTREMELY upset and nothing pleased him.
I knew he had a virus but something in me felt like much more was wrong
He would scream being held, fed, cuddled, you name it..
I called the doctor worried and he insisted we visit the ER..
We spent 3 hours watching Yo Gabba Gabba and waiting..
Long story short, they couldn't find anything wrong either!
I've come to realize that the body is a crazy thing and sometimes the virus'
just wear us completely down.
That doesn't mean that you should ignore your motherly instincts..
just don't be like me and think his arm is about to fall off
when the first sign of extreme crankiness comes on.
Fevers are so much more common than I thought and believe it
or not....children catch virus's! Who would've thought?
So the next time your baby is running a fever, don't fret immediately!
Let your doctor know what is going on!
Get prepared for TONS of cuddles..
Lots of sleeping..
Which means lots of bed head..
& STAY STRONG! because..
You will soon enough have your happy baby back :)
xox, Jessica

No comments :
Post a Comment