Why don't you get a job?
------
Translation from mothers who stay at home:
Why don't you get a real job?
Since you know, you probably just sit at home and do nothing all day.
Why don't you do something that actually contributes to your family?
Why are you so lazy?
Why do you think you don't need a job like everyone else?
Usually said by people who don't even have children
and 100% of the time said by people who can't mind their own business.
I don't ask people what they do with their money.
and I definitely don't hint to people what they should/shouldn't do with their lives.
I hope to other mothers this sounds familiar and that
I'm not the only one who wants to take someone's head off everyone time
those words come out of their mouth.
With that said...let me tell you how I do have a "job".
Babies don't come with a parenting manual.
Since day one that we brought Camden home every single day
is a learning game. I'm constantly researching and making
sure that I'm doing everything right as a new mom.
I spend countless hours doing laundry, organizing clothes, getting
rid of clothes that don't fit and making sure he has enough
clothes until he grows like a weed into the next size up.
I'm constantly making sure everything is in check.
Do we have enough formula?
Baby food?
Diapers?
Wipes?
Clean towels and washcloths?
Are the bottles clean?
What about his bedding?
(you can still pee the bed with a diaper on)
Are all his toys up to date?
Should I start solid foods?
Let me make sure we do tummy time.
But then he needs to practice walking.
Nap time= cleaning as much as I can before he wakes up.
The only way I can get anything done while he's awake
is thanks to my new good friend named Barney.
Getting out of the house with a child is a job itself.
Then lets not forget my bigger person that I take care of
(sorry Billy.)
People are too quick to judge instead of looking
at the larger picture.
Most people probably don't know that I
sell Camden's old things to supply him with new ones.
Or that I find a million ways possible to save money.
I spend a couple hours a week at a local church to help
out and do secretarial things to earn extra cash on the side.
& although I shouldn't even be explaining this to people I feel like
it needs to be heard.
Stay at home mothers aren't slave drivers to their spouses.
Believe it or not...
Being a stay at home mom is a mutual agreement between
a mother and the father.
With that said, if you're name isn't Billy Chamberlain
than you input doesn't need to be heard.
I didn't beg to stay home, and I've never
said I would never start working again.
In fact, I actually had a job after I had Camden.
It involved a lot of time and dedication since it was in Marketing.
I was SUPER excited because I felt like I had a "big girl job".
I went in for my first day, had a good time, then went home
and they wanted me to do conference calls....with a newborn.
Say what?
I actually had to let Camden cry in his crib for over 20 minutes
while I sat on a phone to save my job.
Worst moment of my life and I quit the following day.
My child comes before anything, and I'm sorry if some
people just don't understand that.
Sometimes the real question I want to ask back is
Why don't you become a parent?
So many people are quick to say they are so glad they can live
a selfish life with freedom to do whatever with no children.
And some people are just flat out scared to have a baby.
If it's so scary then why do people not think its hard?
If freedom is so amazing why am I lazy because I have none and stay
at home to raise my child?
Sometimes the real question I want to ask back is
Why don't you become a parent?
So many people are quick to say they are so glad they can live
a selfish life with freedom to do whatever with no children.
And some people are just flat out scared to have a baby.
If it's so scary then why do people not think its hard?
If freedom is so amazing why am I lazy because I have none and stay
at home to raise my child?
I'm not stupid.
I know there's women out there that do it
everyday or just have no choice in the matter.
That doesn't mean they're any better of a parent than me
I give them major props.
They are probably as exhausted, if not more than I am.
They probably have more extra money to spend
and they probably are happy they have an uninterrupted lunch
or work friends they can talk to.
Some days I wish I could just get up and go.
But for now, I enjoy my job as a parent.
I enjoy seeing his face every morning knowing that
my entire day revolves around making him happy instead of myself.
Being a mom is a job on top of what you wish to do with your life
& unless you are a mother, try to keep the comments to yourself.
xox,
Jessica

No comments :
Post a Comment