Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mommy Tips



Being a mother is a learning process. We think we're doing something right, but then realize we're wrong...or find a totally easier way of doing things. Here are some tips, pointers, advice..whatever you want to call it that I've learned along this journey of being a mother. I hope they help new and expecting mothers, or shed a light on current mothers.

You're going to feel like you're losing your mind at some point.
& that's okay.

You're sleep deprived, hungry, and just flat out annoyed at times.
You are not a bad mother. You are human.
Remember to take deep breaths, get a couple minutes to yourself, and recoup.
You will thank yourself.

Be polite, listen to everyone's advice but do what you feel comfortable with.
You will not believe the amount of negativity I got from the amber teething necklace
I had around Camden's neck. You would think I was strangling him. Meanwhile someone
is telling me to put ALCOHOL in his mouth to soothe his gums. -_-
Listen politely, but don't think you have to listen to everyone and their mother.
You know what's right and wrong for YOUR child.

You are not wrong for asking for help.
If someone is offering to help you, take it. They didn't ask because they think
you can't handle it. They asked because they love you, and would love to see you not
look like a walking Zombie. Thank them, and then get that nap, shower, whatever you are
in an ultimate need for!

All babies are different.
I'm totally guilty of this. I panic because I see a baby hitting a milestone that
Camden hasn't yet and I automatically assume he is behind. Then like clockwork,
he surprises me and does it! I finally realized I am actually rushing him. WHY do
I want him to sit up? or drink from a sippy cup? or be crawling? Please by all means,
stay this little FOREVER!

They really do grow like weeds.
Remember the little days. Enjoy them. Everyone who is reading this with a baby past
6 months is probably shaking their heads in agreement. Take pictures, lots of them. Because
they will never be that small again. Those were your first moments, cherish them!

Still be you.
Don't give up on the past things that you loved. Although, you are a mother now..and it comes
with a lot of responsibility and you will always put your child's needs before your own, don't lose yourself. Dance has been my outlet, since before I can remember. By continuing my passion
for it, I am no less of a mother. I hate the word "super mom" but by mixing my old life,
with my new I consider myself pretty darn close. And even if you can't continue your outlet,
FIND A NEW ONE! Blog, knit, take photography! There's always something.


And lastly.....


You're doing OK, mom!
No matter what parenting decision you make...there will always be someone who doesn't
agree, and will bring you down. You will question yourself. And think you're terrible. Your not.
When you get frustrated and have a mini break down because your running on two hours of sleep,
don't look down on yourself. Don't hate yourself because you forgot to do car seat safety research,
or circumcised your son. Don't feel bad because you can't afford "baby fashion" or the nicest
backdrop to show off your photography skills. Your baby will grow out of those 40
dollar leggings before you can even attempt to get them on twice. I saw a post once that said
You're doing OK mom, love your baby. and it is the truest thing I've ever read. If I'm
not doing things right then my baby wont have smiles on his face or everything he needed. Don't
let others, or your self conscious tear you apart...because you're doing just fine.




xoxo,

Jessica



No comments :

Post a Comment